Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB)
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
CWC LA schools are built on the belief that the diversity of our communities, and of the world at large, is necessary to develop true Citizens of the World. . Through targeted outreach and recruitment, our charter schools are intentionally designed to reflect their surrounding communities and the larger society in terms of race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and all other forms of diversity, both seen and unseen. By learning, interacting and growing in a diverse setting, our students are preparing to thrive in the world around them.
At CWC East Valley, our students (starting as young as transitional kindergarten) experience our program to build skills in working along lines of difference in a variety of contexts. Students engage in multidisciplinary and cross-cultural projects together, sharing perspectives from their own rich heritage and learning about others..
Morning Meetings in elementary school or ROOTS classes in middle school might bring up a topic from the news so that students can process together and hear different points of view in a well-facilitated, safe environment. Our curriculum reaches into a variety of cultures for lessons, including social studies, the arts, science, literacy, field trips, and the celebration of a multitude of holidays. CWC East Valley is committed to ensuring that our students, staff, and families are validated and affirmed for who they are and feel a sense of belonging in our community.
Regional Multi-Year DEIB Goals
Ensure all stakeholders feel a sense of belonging.
- Recruit, retain and provide leadership opportunities for diverse students, staff and families
- Ensure programs, people, processes and practices are accessible and equitable for all stakeholders
- Build the skill, will and capacity for all stakeholders to engage in DEIB learning, growth and development
Regional DEIB Expansion Fund
The DEI Expansion Fund is an initiative to sustain and expand regional diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) commitments that will also scale and sustain our school communities’ DEI work. We hope to build on existing DEI investments and strategies across the region to amplify and deepen our work, as well as ensure our DEI priorities are funded on a multi-year horizon.
Example DEIB Practices at CWC East Valley
DEIB can look different with each school community. School leaders and staff work with students and caregivers to learn about, celebrate, and support diverse experiences and cultures.
- At CWC East Valley, our students (from transitional kindergarten on) experience difference and learn to work across lines of difference and view diversity as an asset.
- Opportunities for actively teaching students about the need for open-mindedness and affirmation of different perspectives arise through Morning Meetings as well as in the classroom.
- Elementary Curriculum reaches into a variety of cultures for lessons, including social studies, the arts, science, readings, field trips, and the celebration of a multitude of holidays.
- This important work is done with students, staff and families!
CWC East Valley is committed to ensuring that our students, staff, and families are validated and affirmed for who they are and what they bring to our community.